Search This Blog

Friday, May 7, 2010

Journal # 9

Weller, J. (2010). Playing with skype. International Society for Technology & Education, 37(6), Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=March_April_No_6_1&Template=/MembersOnly.cfm&NavMenuID=4516&ContentID=25508&DirectListComboInd=

The article explains the basics of Skype and how it is slowly being recognized as a useful tool in the classroom. Particularly, the article discusses how it may facilitate outside participation and distance as an easily surmountable obstacle. I think the technology (not to mention its efficiency) is completely underrated and unappreciated by educators. I use it a lot myself (on a fairly old laptop, at that) and rarely encounter problems. Given the proper correspondences and networks, it may be possible to work with people from all over the world within your classroom. The possibilities are endless – it’s up to us to find them.

How would you use Skype?

I like the idea of my students corresponding with foreign students, kinda like pen pals but faster and way cooler. Say we were learning about Japan, I would acquaint myself with a colleague in Japan with similar interests and have our students interact.

Can you think of any problems Skype might cause?

Save for technical difficulties, I don’t see many problems occurring as long as proper supervision is in effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment