Search This Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Social Bookmarking - NETS 5

I visited a number of useful sites (which I tagged and bookmarked via 'Delicious) where I participated in various activities and evaluated their merit with regard to my own professional growth and their inherent value to the teaching profession.

National Archives

I read a short article about John H. White, a photographer whose work helped “capture a slice of life, to capture history.” White brought in a visual and firsthand look at the lives of African Americans. It's quality is unparalleled as it is a primary source, untainted by external influences. Such sources are important to use in the classroom to emphasize to the student the values of firsthand accounts versus secondary sources with regard to merit, value, and accuracy. It is clear through White's pictures that he has indeed captured more than life and history, but also the "spirit, love, zeal, pride, and hopes of the community."

National Education Association

"Focus on What Works," an action guide for educators, identifies today’s hot topics and promising public school programs targeted to six historically under-served student groups:
  1. American Indians and Alaska Natives
  2. Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders
  3. Blacks
  4. Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals, and Transgenders
  5. Hispanics
  6. Women and Girls

I agree with the idea of creating a task force/committee. It is important to involve administrators and teachers with the community, and their collaboration can work together to plan, implement, evaluate "organizational cultural competence initiatives." In addition, I feel networking with other schools (or in general, for that matter) is critical to success in identifying such issues and in working towards become a "culturally competent educator." By networking, we can determine what works and what doesn't, what's tried and tested, and most importantly, what addresses the needs of your school. Lastly, I agree with gathering and organizing cultural materials to be available as a resource for teachers. It allows teachers to be even more competent and knowledgeable about other cultures - not just in theory, but in practice as well.

Stop Cyber Bullying

According to the test, I'm "Cyber Risky." I'm not at all surprised. Based on the kinds of questions being asked, I have a basic idea of what they are looking for in cyber citizens. I do let loose every now and then, and I do engage in some of the practices listed on the quiz, but it's without malicious intent. I like to think I have a good handle on my online persona, and changes based on what I learned from this test can be easily implemented.

I read an article on Instant Messaging. While I may have intuitively known much of what was in the article already, this is the first time a lot of the information was actually confirmed. IMs - if unchecked - post a serious threat to the security and safety of any individual. It is difficult to trace and is responsible for facilitating the activities of (though probably not limited to) sexual predators. Based on the information in this article, the dangers of IMing have been made ever clearer for me, and I feel it would be prudent to educate students in cyber safety and Netiquette.

Kathy Schrock’s Guide for Educators

"Aesop's Fables Online Collection"

I was surprised to find that many (if not all) of Aesop's Fables were available on an online database, not just text, but full-on graphics, analyses, and even audio-book format for some stories. For me, fairy tales and fables are an important element of childhood literature. This website facilitates the introduction of the material into the curriculum and, if they were willing, as a resource students can look into on their own time.

"Educational Podcasting"

This topic caught my eye because of its relevance to video blogging and (obviously) the applications to iPods and what not. Podcasting (and other similar formats) are engaging visuals that convey specific messages and ideas. I can easily see this tool harnessed because of its potential effectiveness within a classroom. While I doubt I'll be making vblogs of my own, I'm sure there are plenty of viable and acceptable resources out there that are in podcast or video blog format that can enhance any lesson.

Multiple Intelligences

According to the test, my top three strengths are Musical, Spatial, and Language. For the most part, they are all accurate. I'm listening to music as we speak. I enjoy drawing (if I ever find time). I also try to be an avid reader and write whenever I can. Bearing this in mind, if I were to teach myself, I'd use engaging lectures. I learn best by listening and even better if I take accompanying notes. Visuals would help as handouts and the like. Flash something on a Powerpoint and I'll get something out of it, but give me a copy of my own and let me study it for a while and I'll be able to retain the entire thing in my memory (possibly even reproduce it for you). Yeah, I know.. my brain is weird.

Teaching Tolerance

Applicable to ALL GRADES, Music, "The Sounds of Change"
http://www.tolerance.org/activity/sounds-change

The lesson discusses the role of music in society. It addresses the accusation that music's role is diminishing by immersing the students in music through the course of the lesson.

The objectives include the following:

  • Explain how music evokes feelings and emotion.
  • Understand relationships between music and culture.
  • Analyze song lyrics to critically examine themes and messages.
  • Consider the effectiveness of music to communicate ideas.
  • Use music to express a personal viewpoint or message about a tolerance-related issue that’s important to them.

I personally believe music is an important aspect of our lives. Regardless of what subject matter I am teaching, I'm certain I would go out of my way to find a connection to music just for the sake of this lesson and the meanings embedded within.

Multicultural Education and Equity Awareness Quiz

"Compared with White women, how likely are African American women in the U.S. to die during childbirth due to a lack of access to prenatal care, according to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality?"

I just thought this was a sobering question to ask. Not only does it address a disparity in health care, but it also implies a degree of responsibility regarding single-parentage - yet another disparity among students. Definitely points towards "Equity Awareness."

"What percentage of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender high school students report that their teachers “never” or “rarely” respond to homophobic remarks made by other students, according to a national study by GLSEN?"

I just thought this was a current hot-topic that deserves to be on here. I've seen first-hand many of the experiences it refers, and the degree of apathy attributed to the teachers is unacceptable. It's yet another equity issue that deserves much attention and awareness.

Netiquette Guidelines

I scored an 80% on the quiz =) !! It's important to teach Netiquette for many reasons, some of which were addressed in the cyber bullying site. Netiquette refers to proper online and internet behavior. It is an important element that should be implemented into your online persona, and it would be wise to educate your students about the proper way to behave when online. The Internet will probably be a big part of their lives as well; prudence dictates that we teach them proper habits early on.

No comments:

Post a Comment